TEXT: Mark 5: 1-5, Proverbs 20:1, Isaiah 5:11, Romans 7:23-25; 8:1, Proverbs 6 : 26-29.
Addiction is a state of being enslaved to a particular habit or practice; to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming.
TYPES OF ADDICTIONS
- Drugs Addiction
- Alcohol Addiction
- Money-Making Addiction
- Money-Spending Addiction
- Gambling Addiction
- Sexual Addiction
- Pornography Addiction
- Food Addiction
- Technology Addiction
- Sugar/Salt Addiction
- Nail Biting Addiction
- Caffeine Addiction and more…
FACTS ABOUT ADDICTION
- Temporal Relief from pain, depression; it helps people to cut off some painful and emotional feelings for a while.
- They are strongly influenced and controlled by a destructive thought process. It seduces, condemns and then destroys you
Addiction takes your focus away from God and put it over what your flesh desires. Addiction is both seducer/encourager and a punisher/destroyer. It is a cruel enemy of every child of God.
God has the power to set you free from whatsoever thing you are addicted to.
The devil instigates a form of addiction to every man destined for greatness; this can be seen in the life of King David who was addicted to women.
You can be born again and still be under the bondage of addiction, all you need do is to walk away from them. Every addiction is a killer of destiny.
OVERCOMING THE POWER OF ADDICTION
- Identify the starting point. How did it start?
- Write down the harmful effect of it.
- You must confess to a helper
- Ask for mercy.
- Separate yourself from man and things that makes you do what you are doing. Deut 4:9
ROLES OF PARENT TO HELPING THE CHILDREN (PARENTAL FACTOR & ROLE)
Parents have a lot to do when it comes to addiction. Gen 18:19. Every child you don’t nurture will be notorious. A child may be knowledgeable and brilliant but may still not have wisdom. Don’t tame your children to having knowledge alone. Let them have Knowledge, wisdom and understating. Wisdom is the application of both knowledge and understanding. Make them have the knowledge of God’s word. Deut 6:7. Take time to teach your children diligently
- Eph 6:4. Do not be harsh on them.
- You must learn to know his or her friends and be their friends
- Teach them the right songs to sing Deut 31:19
- Pray for them and fast on their behalf
- Teach them morals on what to wear and what to put on their body. Lev 19:28.
Don’t idolize your children that you won’t tell them judgment and truth. Nothing destroys a man that God gave you a child and you cannot nurture them. Heb 12:11. prov 19: 18; 13:24, 29:15.
DANGERS OF ADDICTION
- It brings failure
- It causes delay in life and destiny.
Every un-confessed sin has the tendency to enslave you; your company determines your accomplishment. Pray to God to set you free from every power of addictions and you will be free in Jesus’ name.