TEXTS: ACTS 4:32-37, 6:1-7
Social: relates to human society and its members. Living together or enjoying life in communities or organized groups.
Responsibilities: The social force that binds you to the courses of action demanded by that force.
Disciplined: Obeying the rules.
Church: A place of worship of people of the same belief or faith – Christians
As much as the kingdom of God was paramount to Jesus, He never failed to take care of the physical needs of His disciples as well. Thus, as a disciplined church, we must take our caring ministry more serious than we have been doing. As a minister, we are to demonstrate the gospel we proclaim. Every church needs to be part of this arm of ministry and emulate the early church.
The church should be ready to put in place a solid and effective social ministry through which she will carry out social responsibilities that will give credence to her spirituality.
Social Responsibility is the duty expected of the church to meet the physical needs of their members as times and circumstances demand.
The goal of social responsibility in a disciplined church is to make the members to be emotionally balanced for them to embrace the gospel message for their salvation and nurture.
SCOPE OF SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY AS A DISCIPLINED CHURCH
A disciplined church is a healthy church and meets the needs of the following set of people:
- Sick People
- The less privileges etc.
Biblical examples of how best we can carry out our social responsibilities:
- Any social responsibility activity that is not rooted in or focused in the bible is not recognized by God.
- Jesus has laid a very good example for us to follow if our social winning and nurturing will be productive. Matt. 14:13-21, 15:32-39.
LESSONS FROM THE PASSAGE
- Jesus had compassion on the people.
- Jesus met the physical needs of the people for the spiritual impartation He had given them to be rooted.
- Someone gave what he had (his MEAL) to the Lord to help the hungry crowd.
- Jesus Christ met their felt needs so that they may embrace the real need which is salvation through Christ.
- Jesus did not wait for His people to ask before He provided for them – Sensitivity.
- Jesus had the mind of God the Father and depended on Him for multiplication.
- Jesus entrusted His disciples with the responsibilities of distributing the food to the crowd.
Beloved, Jesus is our perfect example. As the Father had sent Him out, He is also sending us and we cannot afford to do less. Every one of us has his/her role to play in several dimensions if the church through her social/ministry will be effective, efficient and productive to the glory of God.
God bless you all.