In Old Testament they made different sacrifices with different object and action but according to the scripture we read it explain what mood you should be while we give thanks to the lord.
WHY IS THANKSGIVING IMPERATIVE
1. Because it an instruction: it is not optional and most times in the scripture if you are instructed to give thanks it’s always come with prayer (Phil 4:6, Eph 5:4, 1Tim 2:1)
2. It’s a sign you are been filled with Holy Spirit: just like the disciples in the upper room when they all speak in different languages, they were filled with Holy Spirit (Eph 5: 18 & 20, Gal 5: 23). If you don’t love you are not filled up yet, if you are not seen to be a meek you are not filled up yet.
EXAMPLS OF THOSE THAT HAVE GIVING THANKS IN THE PAST
1. Apostle Paul: he wrote almost all his epistles in the prison, he didn’t give thanks because of himself alone but for other people’s life as well.
2. Jesus Christ: in the case of the feeding of the three thousand, He gave thanks before multiplying the five loafs of bread and two fish, also when he raised Lazarus from the dead He said ‘’
God I thank you because you do hear me ‘’
3. Paul and Silas: while in prison they were giving thanks even while in bondage and don’t have any escape route.
As a believer you don’t need much reasons to start giving thanks to God, the fact that you are alive alone is enough for you to give Him thanks, if you don’t want to be a disobedient child you need to start giving thanks to Him always without anyone asking you to do so.